Wednesday 9 October 2019

31 Days, 31 Screams: Resurrection- Day 9 (Us)

And now you're mirroring us. Fuck.
Well, that sure is a movie I literally just finished not ten minutes ago. Listen. I had stuff to do today. Besides, if Douglas Adams could skirt deadlines and still put out legendary work from the crunch of it all? I think I can manage a couple hundred words on a horror movie as a quickie. Besides, tomorrow's subject has already been experienced, so I have a little buffer at work. All of this is to preamble before I talk about Jordan Peele's Us, which is a supremely fucked up little movie that plays with themes I have been known to enjoy. THAT'S RIGHT, MOTHERFUCKERS, STRAP YOURSELVES RIGHT THE FUCK IN BECAUSE IT'S ONCE AGAIN TIME FOR FREZNO TO TALK ABOUT SOME MOTHERFUCKIN' GODDAMNED MIRROR THEMES!!!





I mean, that's not even me reading too much into it this time. The movie literally starts with its pre-credits scene at the fair, culminating in a spooky bit in a hall of mirrors. It does go further, of course, as the happy status quo of our protagonist Addy and her family is shattered (pun unintended) by the arrival of her and her family's mirror images, a bunch of creepy folks in red boilersuits with scissors. Addy's mirror, Red, is a hoarse-voiced mirror image who's [[totally pissed]] at her counterpart. In fact, they all are to some degree. What exactly is going on with these doubles, these "Tethered" as the movie calls them, isn't truly made clear. I think they were meant to be a government experiment or something but then they were abandoned and grew resentful as they were forced to rot underground while their counterparts lived actual happy lives and shit? Certainly it goes a long way in explaining why they're all so sadistic and eager to stab the fuck out of their counterparts with a bunch of scissors. Red in particular, though, is totally resentful and bitter of her life in hell while her mirror image got to live a perfect life with a perfect family, and seems to be taking great satisfaction in needling home the misery with some good old fashioned "ha ha ha my family's gonna kill your family one by one while I tether you to this table". This really isn't just centered on Addy's family, as friends of theirs get the scissors as well from their own doubles. Hell, all of America seems to be getting fucked up by these red boilersuit mirror fucks, who then... proceed to recreate Hands Across America. Uh. Okay.


I don't want to go off and spoil the twist ending of this movie on here, considering it's so new... but let me just say, there's a whole bunch of reflecting I need to do as I sit here thinking of the movie. (Pun unintended, again.) What I can say is that it's a great little movie that keeps you guessing and keeps you thinking, and I'm glad the whole thing wasn't that misery needling in the summer home and we got a grander scale for it all. The climax of the movie is this almost beautiful dance of death, underscored perfectly. There's also a [[great]] morbid joke involving a not-Amazon Alexa that I dare not spoil. So yeah. Go see Us. It's great, and your mirror self with a pair of scissors might not hate you for it. Okay. Tomorrow will be more in-depth, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment