Saturday 25 January 2014

A Tribute To Justin "JewWario" Carmical

(This was written in the wake of Justin Carmical's suicide, years before any unpleasant allegations about him came out. It remains up for posterity, but I highly doubt it would have been written had I known about them when he died.)

A man named Justin Carmical died today. Under the handle of "JewWario", this man did plenty of videos about old video games and imports, and assorted things like that. He entertained the masses with his creative vision, and his sudden death has brought about an influx of memories from his fellow creative friends. I never really knew the man, but I know people who have been deeply affected by his loss. So, what the hey. If I can't post a tribute on my dumb Nintendo blog, then what the hell is writing good for? It's late, but I will let my own creative powers take hold. Here, then, is what I know of Justin Carmical.

We spoke only once. My friend, under the handle of "MegaGWolf", had a stream series where he just talked to people over Skype. He called it MegaGTalk. Clever name, I know. I had been on a few of them, chatting about anything and everything. One of the last MegaGTalk sessions had JewWario as a guest, and he and GWolf talked about video games and junk. I expressed interest to G in talking to the man, and with a few clicks, I was in. We chatted for a few moments, and spoke about import video games. The Mother series, for one. He knew what Moon Crystal was! A very lovely little gem of beauty that never saw release outside of Japan. It's outside the scope of this blog, but he knew it and that was great. The only other places I've really seen the man in action were the That Guy With The Glasses anniversary "movies". He brought me some smiles in those.

That's about all when it comes to my direct interaction with Mr. Carmical. It was only as I sat in a group call, sitting in silence, pondering while being verbal support for GWolf that I realized how Justin Carmical had changed my world for the better. Not directly, of course. He had no idea. It's all cause and effect. Ripples. You see, his main series of videos was something called "You Can Play This". Looking at import games from Japan that are easy to play for people who do not know the language and wish to enjoy good games. Quite handy stuff, and he showcased another favorite import of mine, Super Back To The Future II. Now then... watch carefully as the ripples spread. MegaGWolf, inspired by this series, creates a one-off video called "You Shouldn't Play This". He shows off an NES game that we have covered here on the project before; one that he had as a child and drove him quite batty. The Hunt For Red October. You may remember my words on that game, but the summary is the next ripple. During casual conversation with GWolf one day in August 2011, I jokingly reference that game and tease him about beating it. He bets me that I cannot do it. Three days later I accomplish the feat, and in doing so I learn how to beat hard video games. This opens the floodgates, so to speak. Super Ghouls n Ghosts. Battletoads. Ecco The Dolphin. All demons that rush towards me, and that I conquer. The Hard Game Beater, Victorious.

Then the last ripple. The most important of all. Me becoming a member of the "GChat". GWolf and his Skype friends, including me into their fraternity of friendship. Some of these people I already know. Some I meet for the first time. I am a passive member for quite some time... and then, one Saturday morning, I awaken to find that two of my best friends in there are getting married. I am overjoyed and overburdened with positive feelings, and over the next few weeks I become more of an active member in the GChat. I also culminate these engagement feelings by writing about them along with Kirby. I have been an electronic wanderer for quite some time. For the first time in years, I'm part of a tight-knit group again. A chat for non-losers, reborn. The comraderie is strong with some of us. We laugh together. We cry together. I hope to meet them all at the wedding, and shake hands, and share drinks. These are my dreams. Let us look back at the ripples. How far we have radiated out... but we must not forget the genesis of it all.

Thank you, Justin. You didn't know it, but you've given me some of the best friends a weirdo like me could ask for. This is how I remember you, though we only met once. I remember you as the man who's changed the course of my world. This post in remembrance of you is about all I can offer now.

Rest well, sir. You won't soon be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment