Friday 8 September 2023

Coming Soon: Another Sixteen Screams For Halloween

ooooOOOOoooo THAT'S RIGHT WE HAVE ARRIVED AT THE FALL! It is a time of year that usually has me running around like a headless chicken, between trips and this and NaNoWriMo and all sorts of other things. I just took a trip to the capital city and went to some amazing places. Like the one you're seeing on the right here, a very interesting Newfoundland town. I refuse to elaborate further. If you know, you know. Instead I'll elaborate on what sort of time of year we've come to again. Yes, in October it will once again be time for a spooky media marathon, as Sixteen Screams For Halloween comes back for the third time. If you're new here, that means that every other day for the month of October, I'll have a quick writeup on some piece of spooky media. There are a few things I want to do, but honestly I haven't sat down and hashed out a big list yet. That's where you come in! 


I always leave some space open for suggestions from friends and readers of the blog, because I like broadening my horizons and going out to experience new things that I would not venture towards otherwise. It makes my writing more interesting and focuses me to think of things in new and interesting ways. The very best sort of growth for a media analyst like myself! I do have my usual ground rules and whatnot, but there is one major addition to them because of 2023. I'm sure you can guess, due to what I did two posts ago, but here is the first major rule for suggesting things for Sixteen Screams this year.


In solidarity with the ongoing writer's and actor's strike, I will not be covering any media produced or distributed by struck studios or other entities.


That may seem limiting at first, but it opens up a plethora of other options for you. Foreign films, books, spooky comics, short video games (granted, video games are rumbling to strike in solidarity, but that seems more for big-budget AAA experiences that are outside the purview of this) are all fair game! We can get weird and wild and find plenty of things to talk about. 16 of the things should be easy as hell. Just keep in mind the usual guidelines I have for media suggestion for the marathon, which are as follows:

-I have access to Canadian Netflix and Youtube rentals, and for other edge cases I can find the means to obtain the films or shows in question.
-My only real trigger/phobia, beyond a very specific case, is wrist or throat slashing. If such scenes are signposted in the movie such that it's obvious they're going to happen, I can avert my eyes in time. If there's only one or two such scenes in the movie, it's fine with a warning. If it's something where such things are the main method of murder, that's a hard pass.
-I am open to other media, like brief forays into TV shows or comics or what have you, but it's not my main area of expertise and I'll need a relatively affordable or even cost-free way of access to cover it. This part I may be able to handle on my own, but it's a case-by-case basis and depends on context.


Alright, with that, have at it. Sound off in the comments below, enjoy your last fleeting days of summer weather, and let's settle down for what shall hopefully be a fun and entertaining fall. It's kind of my season, fall, and I hope that the same is true this year. See you in October for the spooky times!

2 comments:

  1. -A Snapping Sound by represent
    -a GUEST in the HOUSE by Emily Carrol
    -Love Everlasting vol. 1 by Tom King and Elsa Charretier
    -Beau is Afraid dr. Ari Aster
    -Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got three to write to you, ideas perhaps for the new 16 Screams, Frez.

    1. Sweet Home, The Movie which birthed from it an NES game that led to the creation of Resident Evil.
    2. The 1958 BLOB, one of the classic B Horror flicks of the time, as cheesy as it is Horror.
    3. The Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes classic, The Spider Woman from 1943, a Woman as cunning as Moriarty, and as deadly as a spider.

    All three of these are found on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete